Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: OT- Gretsch Guitar

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT- Gretsch Guitar


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    This isn't mine, I do not know the seller. I know there are at least a couple other gutar players here, thought maybe they would enjoy looking at it.

    This is local listing for me- my country place is about 30 miles south, the city aprtment is probably within 5 miles of this.

    http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/536122726.html

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a beaut OG. Fair price too. I think that's the model GM said he used to have.

    Just seeing or hearing of an old Gretsch sends pangs of mixed emotion thru me. I bought a '58 Roundup like this one

    image031

    in '79 for $100, and it was a trusty friend for years. I swapped it in a pinch for enough gear to play a benefit for a local family...a worthy cause I don't regret...but I sure do miss it.

    forums

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Old memories...

    I had the Roundup with me at a memorable gig, a NY Eve bash for the North Kansas City VFW. What a riot! We regularly played Southern rock, but that crowd was pure redneck, crewcut, country, and wound tighter than a D string on a bass fiddle. Remember the scene from the Blues Brothers where they played as The Good Ol' Boys? It was like that without the chicken wire. Somehow we pulled enough country off (pretty sure we played Rawhide too) to appease them till they were wasted, but the final set was pure Allman Bros, and they loved it. Also like the movie, bar damages came off the top, I think we each got $60...and away with our lives.

    Ahh, the good ol' days...

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT- Gretsch Guitar


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I've downsized to one vintage Strat. And one woman. Pretty much all I need.

    If I was still collecting...

    The only thing I miss is my old 335. Bought it new, (finish second) in 68. I don't think the Strat would have minded if I'd kept it on the side...but it went to a very competent guitarist, it's in good hands.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm down to 3, an acoustic, the Viper, and a newer Epi Sheraton, which feels a lot like a 335. It's a good neck/body that had the typical Made in Wherever hardware. I worked it over, brass nut, roller bridge, Seymour Duncans and dual S/P wiring. It's much better now, and real fun to play.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Many years ago I had a Gretsch drumset, had lousy hardware and so-so tone. The Rogers I got later (swivomatics) sounded much better (to me) and held up better too.

    Old Gretsch kits go for big money but I don't see the attraction other than the quality of the tubs and cast rims and nutboxes, that's first rate. But the actual sound left me cold. Of course drum tone is a matter of preference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.